Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Our Nation's Capital


Dave writes...
I’m home finally after driving all night from the Potomac River in Washington DC. It’s only about 6 hours from home, but after a long day it seemed like forever. Anne and the kids stayed home for this one and boy did I miss them all week. We have a week off now before heading down to Kentucky Lake, where we will be camping again.

The Potomac could have been much worse for me, so I am relieved to get out of there with a 32nd place finish. Normally I’d be pretty upset with a finish like that, but because I never really found that much in practice, I’m cool with just getting out of there alive and with some good points and a big check. We only have two more Opens this year and only the top 5 in the AOY standing will pre-qualify for the 2012 Forrest Wood Cup next August. After two, I now sit in 11th place with a good shot at the top 5, one of my main goals this season for sure.

I took the Suburban this trip and had it packed to the rafters...loaded down. It tows the boat so well and so smoothly that I didn’t even notice I was on the worst road in the country last night. I love paying to drive on the PA Turnpike, they should pay us to drive on it in my opinion. I had Aaron Hall, who works for FLW Outdoors, with me so that was nice. He had me listening to the the Blues and Praise channel on XM the whole way home, and a little bit of Fox News too, lol. Good times.

Aaron and I will be joined by Dave Mahler on Tuesday with nothing but big smallies on our minds for three solid days. Last time they came up to “play” Mahler boated a pig that weighed 7 pounds, of which he had a replica made. He says he needs another one to go with it, so I’ll let you know if that happens or not. I know I’m excited about this trip because I simply haven’t had the time to fish around here lately. The fun starts super early in the morning, when I pick them up in the dark at their motel, we have a quick breakfast at Taki’s, and then head straight to Presque Isle Bay.

I want to thank Tom Rizzo, the Lack-Attack’s replacement for the week at the Potomac, and also my buddy Steve Chaconas and his wife Martha for their hospitality this passed week. I hope we go back to the Potomac next season for sure.

I’ll talk to you in a couple weeks after the Kentucky Lake Major!


Anne writes...

Well, the kids and I didn't make it to the Potomac River. We were really bummed we couldn't go but we had to finish out the school year. We really missed Dave this week but he was in good hands staying with friends. I can't wait to go back to the Potomac so we can visit our Nation's Capital. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm sure I'll have much more to talk about after the Kentucky Lake Tournament since we are definitely going to that one!

Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment